I don’t do good cakes! Yes, for a simple reason that I always try to tweak a recipe by replacing sugar with coconut palm sugar and whatever anybody might say the end output does get impacted — not just the texture but even the colour! Imagine a classic pound cake in a dark brown colour 😱😱
Since am still a novice baker, my husband, who loves cakes, had completely given up on me with respect to cakes but I never gave up and continued to be headstrong about not using refined sugar.
Hence I started looking out for cake recipes that I could balance well using coconut palm sugar. And I came across this beautiful flourless chocolate cake recipe by twopeasandtheirpod.com and I adapted it with my coconut palm sugar twist! Its probably one of the simplest and easiest cake recipe and guess what He Loves It! Believe me, if I can then anyone can bake this one with complete perfection!
My secret 🤫 I don’t have to worry about colour of this cake – chocolate cake so my coconut sugar is perfect for this recipe!
All you need is a set of simple ingredients…
For the cake:
- One cup semisweet chocolate chips or chopped chocolate (I always use chopped chocolate)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (I know I don’t like using so much butter too but it’s okie for once in a while 🤪)
- 3/4 cup coconut palm sugar (here in Nairobi I use Naturalli brand, you can use any good quality brand)
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs – slightly beaten
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
For the chocolate ganache:
- One cup semisweet chocolate chips or chopped chocolate
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
Let’s get baking…
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C. Grease an 8-inch round cake pan (I use my springform cake pan). Cut a piece of parchment to fit the bottom of the pan. Place it in the bottom of the pan and spray it with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- To make the cake, put the chocolate and butter in a large microwave-safe bowl, and heat until the butter is melted and the chips are soft, about one minute, at intervals of 15 seconds. Stir until the chocolate is melted and the mixture is smooth. If you need to reheat, do for 10 seconds at a time and stir.
- Add coconut sugar, salt, vanilla extract and stir to combine.
- Add the eggs and stir until smooth. Add the cocoa powder and stir until just combined. Don’t over mix.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake the cake for 20-25 minutes or until the cake has a thin crust on the top.
- Let the cake cool on a wire cooling rack for 10 minutes. Loosen the edges of the pan and carefully turn it upside down onto a cake plate or serving plate. The bottom of the cake will now be the top of the cake. Let the cake cool completely, patiently!
- While the cake is cooling, make the chocolate ganache. Combine the chocolate and cream in a medium microwave-safe bowl, and heat until the cream is very hot so it will melt the chocolate. Always start with 20 seconds and check it. It might take shorter or longer, depending on your microwave. Take it out from the microwave, and stir until the the chocolate melts and the mixture is smooth.
- Spread the chocolate ganache glaze evenly over the cooled cake. Let the glaze set up for a few hours before cutting and serving the cake. You can even put it in the refrigerator to speed up the process.
- Ta-da! Cut the cake into slices and serve! You can decorate it with powdered sugar and raspberries, if desired. It’s even great with whipped cream or ice cream.
Food-tease… I’ve made an eggless chocolate cake today with the same ganache and it’s gonna be paired with crispy cheesy pan pizza (remember one day in the month is dedicated to cheesy pizza) for dinner! Anyone hungry 😋😋